The course is held at the Molėtai Observatory near the town with the same name (around 70 km from Vilnius). Please note that the venue is a bit in the middle of nowhere (as observatories usually are). Thus it is wise to bring all the things you needs with you, since shopping possibilities will be limited. For your needs, an observatory car will go to Molėtai about twice a day and the organisers will accept your orders since you will be occupied by your lectures and other school activities.
Students will be housed in double and triple rooms at the Molėtai Observatory, whereas lecturers will be living in single rooms. There will be one bathroom for 2 or 3 rooms. Linen and towels will be provided. Rooms are not too large, so please do not bring your whole household with you.
Lectures and poster session
Lectures will be held in the auditorium at the Molėtai observatory. Standard poster sizes: A0 (841 x 1189 mm.) portrait or A1 (594 x 841 mm.) landscape.
Arriving to the observatory
1. By plane. Convenient way for distant travellers. Please note that on 14 July – 18 August 2017, Vilnius Airport (VNO) runway will be under reconstruction. Passengers flying to Vilnius will be arriving to Kaunas International Airport (KUN). To avoid confusion, an agreement has been reached with IATA to indicate KUN to travellers purchasing tickets to and from Vilnius.
Arriving to the observatory from KUN.
We expect you to take a bus to one of two closest towns to observatory (Molėtai and Utena) we will pick-up you ther.
- 10:54-13:15 Bus service from KUN to the town Molėtai.
- 13:38-15:40 Bus service from KUN to the town Ignalina that stops in Molėtai (Sunday/Monday only).
If you arrive to KUN early in the morning or before 17:30, we expect you to take a bus to the town Utena:
- 07:23-09:30 From KUN to the town Visaginas that stops in Utena.
- 08:53-11:05 From KUN to the town Ignalina that stops in Utena.
- 11:53-14:00 From KUN to the town Zarasai that stops in Utena.
- 13:23-15:30 From KUN to the town Visaginas that stops in Utena.
- 14:23-16:45 From KUN to the town Zarasai that stops in Utena.
- 15:53-18:10 From KUN to Utena.
- 17:53-20:00 From KUN to the town Zarasai that stops in Utena.
If you arrive to KUN later than 17:30, we expect to take any bus to Vilnius city center. We will inform you what to do personally.
2. By car. For Baltic people it is the easy way to reach the observatory. Please, check the position on the Google map.
Riga 231 km – about 3 hours 23 min.
Tallin 539 km – about 7 hours 28 min.
Tartu 446 km – about 6 hours 32 min.
3. By bus:
From Estonia and Latvia
the best choice is to go to the city of Panevėžys (every international coach to Vilnius will make a stop in Panevėžys). From Panevėžys coach station choose the bus to Utena town (check the timetable)
. Organizers will provide the transportation form Utena
town coach station to the observatory.
the choice is to go to Vilnius. From Vilnius coach station choose the bus Vilnius-Moletai. Check the timetable.
Organizers will provide transportation from Molėtai town coach station to the observatory.
Please, inform about your arriving times as soon as possible, organizers will try to provide transportation from Vilnius and organizers will definitely provide the transportation form Molėtai or Utena. If you will have any questions, please contact organizers. Please save the phone number of organizers to call or sms about your arrival to Molėtai or Utena.
Coordinates: longitude: E 25 deg 33' 48.0" latitude: N 55 deg 18' 57.5" altitude: 200 m
View l’Molėtai Observatory in a larger map